Your comments and questions are encouraged.
- Situation: Stanley Black & Decker is a leading tooling company operating under different brands including Stanley, Black & Decker and Dewalt. It is active in both the professional and consumer markets globally.
- Complication: Pressure from the financial markets to generate sustained revenue growth.
- Challenge Statement: How might we increase communication and collaboration on the construction jobsite?
- Solution: Engage with the construction crew through a user-friendly mobile application to deliver the right information to the right team member at the right time to increase productivity and reduce rework.
- Approach: Assembled a team of industry experts from both inside and outside the organization for a Design Thinking process. Ran a 2-day ideation and prioritization workshop. Identified and force ranked over a dozen creative use cases. Launched 3-month incubation effort under the Design Thinking umbrella to validate desirability, feasibility and viability of the proposed solution. This included hundreds of one-to-one interviews and the creation and testing of dozens of solutions.
- Result: business case approved by the new venture board with substantial seed funding with a clear definition of the minimum viable product.
Read more about the author, Hervé Pluche.